1 - Working at the VUB
For already 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located.
Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.
The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.
The mission of the university includes:
- the development, the transfer and the application of high-standing academic education and scientific research, free from any prejudice;
- community integration of this in a spirit of social compassion;
- critical development of everyone in light of the responsibilities borne in the community.
2 - Position description
We are looking for a tenure track lecturer.
More concretely your work package contains:
Education and Research domain:
- You will contribute to certain epidemiology-related courses in the educational programmes organised at the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, both at bachelor and master level;
- You will supervise and assist in master and doctoral research projects;
- You will conduct groundbreaking research in the field of epidemiology, more particular in the subdomain of neuro-epidemiology or onco-epidemiology and will obtain competitive research funds in this field along with high-quality peer-reviewed scientific publications;
- You will develop an (inter)national scientific network;
- You will provide scientific, societal and internal services;
- You will be a member of the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, and you are expected to contribute to its operational aspects. This means that you may possibly sit on (various) faculty boards or educational councils;
- You will collaborate with student counsellors and education experts from the University is expected in support of the general vision of the University and faculty to promote the students’ success rate and general wellbeing;
For this function, our Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus (Elsene) will serve as your home base.
3 - Profile
What do we expect from you?
- You should ideally fulfill the following requirements:
- a strong track record in epidemiological research substantiated by international peer reviewed papers, obtained research grants, oral presentations at international fora etc;
- clearly demonstrate interdisciplinary collaborations in epidemiological research projects;
- demonstrate your experiences in a range of methodological approaches in epidemiology;
- experience in epidemiological research in the domain of neurosciences or oncology is of added value, but not an exclusion criterion;
- present a clear research plan you envision in this Tenure Track;
- demonstrate communication skills needed to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position;
- You are able to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment with students, professors, researchers and technical and administrative personnel;
- Experience with obtaining research funds, project management, supervision of students (masters and doctoral students) and personnel management in general, are absolute benefits;
- Existing collaborations with other research units and institutions, as well as with the industrial and the medical sector, has thus an important added value;
- You subscribe to the university’s vision of education. The full text in relation to this is available on the university website.
- Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful delivery of a teaching session.
- Members of the academic staff who, as title-holders, are charged with teaching assignments, must be able to demonstrate the required knowledge of the language of instruction for the relevant course units. Example: When a course unit is taught in English, the candidate is required to have the appropriate certificate. More information about the regulations concerning the language proficiency you can find via https://jobs.vub.be/content/Regulations-concerning-language-proficiency/
4 - Offer
Are you going to be our new colleague?
You’ll be offered a tenure track appointment, for an assignment of 1 FTE, for 5 years, with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer by the end of this initial period, with planned starting date 01/03/2022.
You’ll receive a salary linked to one of the scales set by the government.
At the VUB, you’re guaranteed an open, involved and diverse workplace where you are offered opportunities to (further) build on your career.
As well as this, you’ll enjoy various benefits:
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or compensation if you come by bike;
- Cost-free hospitalisation insurance;
- The space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN;
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise;
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants;
- An open, family-friendly work environment where attention is paid to work-life balance, and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave (based on a fulltime contract).
5 - Interested?
Is this the job you’ve been dreaming of?
Send us ONLINE and at latest on 07/10/2021:
- your motivation letter, including your vision on education and research, and an explanation about the development of your future research;
- your curriculum vitae, including you academic dossier;
- your degrees and diplomas (not applicable for VUB alumni) and language certificates.
Do you have questions about the job content? Contact Koen Putman at Koen.Putman@vub.be or on +32-2-4774740.
Would you like to know what it’s like to work at the VUB? Go to www.vub.ac.be/vacatures and find all there is to know about our campuses, benefits, strategic goals and your future colleagues.