Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Chemistry in the Faculty of Science has the following full-time vacancy: tenured junior or senior academic staff in the field of Machine-learning supported Chemistry
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in Chemistry.
- Your teaching assignment will evolve along with the educational programmes. The courses you will teach, will be related to computational skills, statistical processing of experimental results, chemometrics, artificial intelligence and/or computational chemistry in the Bachelor and Master in Chemistry programmes.
- You will support the department in organising service courses, e.g. in General Chemistry, to other study programmes in the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students during their industrial internships, Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in Chemometrics and in applications of Artificial Intelligence in one or (preferably) several domains of Chemistry. Possible lines of research may be, but are not limited to, Material Sciences, Spectroscopy and Spectrometry, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry. You develop lines of research that are complementary to the current activities within the Department of Chemistry.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in peer-reviewed international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network. You will actively participate to scientific conferences.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment for the Chemistry study programme, boards and committees and popular science communication.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service and you will contribute to the university and departmental management policy.
- Your leadership style is motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Bio Engineering (option Chemistry) or a related field with focus on Chemistry.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent) in the research domain. Long international experience is recommended.
- You have extensive experience in programming and experience in the use of high performance computing (HPC).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio including peer-reviewed publications.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are a team player and an open communicator.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is 01.01.2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 30th June 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a short research plan (2 pages) in which you also highlight the integration of your research in the Department of Chemistry at UAntwerp. Applications without a motivation letter and research plan will not be considered.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Sabine Van Doorslaer, chair of department, (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.