Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Biomedical Sciences in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
Tenured junior or senior academic staff in the field of Cellular metabolism and functional protein chemistry
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education (15 - 20 ECTS) in the programmes Biochemistry & Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes and will be situated in courses where biocatalysis, bio-energetics and/or metabolism are central.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the domain of biochemistry, more specifically in the discipline of cellular metabolism and protein chemistry. Your research should preferably be in line with the departmental research spearheads infectious diseases and/or cell death and you are open to collaboration with fellow professors in the research group and by extension in the Department. The lab has access to advanced mass spectrometry, NGS, proteome-transcriptome-kinome-epigenome-metabolome analysis facilities and collaborates with the research excellence consortia Infla-Med, IPPON and GENOMED.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Bio-engineer, Pharmaceutical Sciences or related.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your profile is complementary to the existing expertise in the Department of Biomedical Sciences. You are a team player in which you strive for and develop collaborations with the existing research groups within the Department of Biomedical Sciences and by extension within the University of Antwerp.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- Candidates who have already followed an integration trajectory at Antwerp University during the ten years prior to this vacancy and who have not completed this with a B2 language certificate, cannot again appeal to the implementation of article II.270 §2 of the Codex Higher Education and must demonstrate their proficiency in Dutch at CEFR level B2 at the time of application in order to meet the eligibility criteria for this vacancy.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment ((assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 28 June 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV and (4) a future research plan in which you detail a vision on your research within the Department of Biomedical Sciences (max. 2 pages).
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Wim Vanden Berghe, chair of the Department Biomedical Sciences, wim.VandenBerghe@uantwerpen.be.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.