Department: Department of Communication Studies
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Communication Studies in the Faculty of Social Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
Senior Academic Staff in the field of Digital media and strategic communication
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and service (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education within Communication Sciences.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will teach include courses in Emerging Communication Technologies (Bachelor, 6 credits), Effectiveness Research in Strategic Communication (Master, 6 credits), Methods of Communication Research (Master, 6 credits, with co-titular, module Experiments and Computational Methods).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students in their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You expand high-quality scientific research in the area of digital media effects (including social media, VR, apps, wearables, etc.) and other 'emerging technologies' on people's behaviour in the context of strategic communication (marketing and corporate communication, health communication, governmental communication, social profit communication, and political communication). In addition to the well-established social science methods, you have demonstrable experience with more direct measures such as eye tracking, psychophysiology and/or computational methods (big data analysis, machine learning, social network analysis), and you will develop leading research in this area.
- You become a member of the research group Media & ICT in Organizations & Society (MIOS).
- You initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You publish in international peer-reviewed journals within your field.
- You develop an international scientific network.
- You supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, and science communication.
Organisation and leadership
- You accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style is motivating and coaching. You are attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in a field related to the domain of digital media and strategic communication.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio including leading publications in the field of digital media and strategic communication.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff. The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus, located in Antwerp’s city centre, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 24 May 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a research plan that shows how you intend to integrate your research into the research group MIOS (max. 3 pages), (5) a course content proposal for the Emerging Communication Technologies (Bachelor) and Effectiveness Research of Strategic Communication (Master).
- We ask candidates to create an ORCiD or a Google Scholar account, and to mention their ID in the file.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact professor dr. Michel Walrave, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.