Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Bioscience Engineering in the Faculty of Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
graduate teaching & research assistant in the field of sustainable air purification technologies and strategies with a strong focus on modelling (CFD/Multiphysics)
As a graduate teaching & research assistant, you will be part of the Academic Assistant Staff (Dutch: Assisterend Academisch Personeel, AAP). You will spend at least 50% of your working time preparing a PhD thesis. In addition, you will play an assisting role in teaching, research and service activities.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of sustainable air purification technologies and strategies with a strong focus on modelling (CFD/Multiphysics) as a research tool.
- You will organise your own PhD research and report on your progress regularly.
- You will participate in the doctoral study programme at the Antwerp Doctoral School to support your PhD pathway.
- You will present the findings of your PhD research at academic conferences and aim to publish them in scientific journals.
- You will contribute to attracting national and international research funding.
- You will provide support with teaching and also teach high-quality academic classes yourself in the engineering courses of the bachelor program Bio-science Engineering: applied thermodynamics, physical and thermal transport phenomena, modelling and simulation of biosystems and procestechnology.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes.
- You will assist in the development of teaching methods, teaching and study materials, evaluations, etc.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will play an active role in the academic and societal service provision of the Research Group Sustainable Energy, Air and Water Technology and the Department of Bioscience Engineering. You will also assist in student recruitment and alumni activities and serve on boards and committees, among other activities.
- You hold a Master degree in Bioscience Engineering, or similar, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You are motivated to work actively on your further professional development.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have excellent communication skills in English and Dutch as much of the teaching assignments must be given in Dutch.
What we offer
- We offer an appointment as a graduate teaching & research assistant for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the appointment can be renewed twice up to a maximum period of six years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for an assistant (Academic Assistant Staff, AAP).
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Groenenborger Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 23 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): . (1) a motivation letter, (2) your CV, (3) a pdf of your master thesis, (4) contact information of your master promotor.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Siegfried Denys (Siegfried.Denys@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.