Department: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
As part of its dynamic research policy, and supported by the University Research Fund (Dutch: Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds, BOF), the University of Antwerp, Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
Junior research professor (tenure track ZAPBOF)
As a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: research, services and education. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. As a research professor, your role will consist primarily of academic research with some limited involvement in the educational programmes for a maximum of 10 years.
- You expand high-quality scientific research in the field of pharmacology of cardiovascular aging. Within the research group Physiopharmacology of the University of Antwerp, there is great expertise in the research of atherosclerosis and heart diseases. The further development of a line of research into the pharmacology of cardiovascular aging enables us to complete our expertise. The mechanisms involved in the aging process of the heart and blood vessels need to be further clarified in order to discover pharmacological interventions aimed at slowing down these processes.
- You initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You publish in renowned international professional literature.
- You develop an international scientific network.
- You supervise PhD students.
- You play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You participate in student recruitment and popular science communication.
- You provide high-quality education in the field of pharmacology and pharmacokinetics.
- Your limited teaching role evolves along with the study programmes. You will participate in the courses in general pharmacology and pharmacokinetics and you supervise and evaluate master theses.
Organisation and leadership
- You accept coordinating responsibilities in the core task of research and you contribute to the policy of the Physiopharmacology research group.
- You hold a PhD in the field of Pharmacology.
- You can demonstrate a minimum of two years of postdoctoral experience (when you start work, at the latest) in the field of cardiovascular pharmacology.
- You have an international academic portfolio and you conduct high-quality academic research.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you must obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time ZAPBOF appointment as a tenure track lecturer for a period of five years. Following a favourable evaluation, this period is followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as a senior lecturer.
- In the event of a positive evaluation after the first five-year period, you may continue in your role as a research professor with limited teaching responsibilities for a maximum of ten years in total, allowing you to further strengthen your research portfolio. This tenure track ZAPBOF period is then followed by a standard position as a member of the senior academic staff with a mixture of teaching, research and service responsibilities.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- We offer an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year PhD project and €50 000 of consumables.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 4 January 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a detailed research plan for the next five years (approx. 5 000 words, including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package), (5) a report on your previous scientific research activities (maximum 5 000 words), (6) two abstracts on the scientific content of the research plan (one scientific abstract and one abstract in layman’s terms of maximum 500 words or 4 000 characters each). All documents must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: date x (interview and sample lesson).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Guido De Meyer, spokesperson of the Physiopharmacology research group, email@example.com, phone +32 3 265 27 37. If you have any questions about the typical appointment framework for this research role, please contact the (TT)ZAPBOF officer in the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation, Marianne De Voecht (0032 3 265 30 29).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.