Department: Department of Marketing
As part of its dynamic research policy, and supported by the University Research Fund (Dutch: Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds, BOF), the Faculty of Business and Economics has the following full-time vacancy:
(junior) research professor (tenure track ZAPBOF)
As a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: research, services and education. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. As a research professor, your role will consist primarily of academic research with some limited involvement in the educational programmes for a maximum of 10 years (max. 8 ECTS per year). After 10 years, you would take up a standard education load of max. 24 credits per year.
- You expand high-quality scientific research in marketing and innovation. The vacancy is open to researchers in the broad domain of marketing and innovation: innovative marketing communication (e.g. in the area of user-generated content, marketing via social media, content marketing, nudging, ...), (sustainable) consumer behaviour, adoption of innovations, innovative business models, co-creation, innovative methods for data collection or analysis,... Candidates must demonstrate the innovative character and the connection / added value of their research with the current research lines of the marketing research group. The research group attaches great importance to cooperation (within and outside the research group) and social valorisation.
- You initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You publish in leading international journals and specialist literature.
- You further develop an international scientific network.
- You supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. For example, you participate in student recruitment, councils and committees, science communication, ... .
- You provide high-quality education in marketing.
- Your limited teaching assignment will be determined in consultation with the department.
- You play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
Organisation and leadership
- You accept coordinating responsibilities in the core tasks of research, services and/or education, in consultation with the department.
- You hold a PhD in marketing, business administration, communication sciences or any other relevant domain.
- You can demonstrate a minimum of two years of postdoctoral experience (when you start work, at the latest).
- You have an international academic portfolio and you conduct high-quality academic research.
- You can present relevant publications for the vacancy in leading scientific journals.
- Experience in writing project proposals and acquiring funding is a plus.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You strive for both academic and social relevance in your research.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity and creativity.
- You value (international) cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time ZAPBOF appointment as a tenure track lecturer for a period of five years. Following a favourable evaluation, this period is followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as a senior lecturer.
- In the event of a positive evaluation after the first five-year period, you may continue in your role as a research professor with limited teaching responsibilities for a maximum of ten years in total, allowing you to further strengthen your research portfolio. This tenure track ZAPBOF period is then followed by a standard position as a member of the senior academic staff with a mixture of teaching, research and service responsibilities.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- We offer an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year PhD project and €30 000 of consumables.
- The planned start date is October 1 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the city campus (city center of Antwerp) in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 11 January 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a detailed research plan for the next five years (approx. 5 000 words, including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (for the PhD scholarship included in the “starter package”), (5) a report on your previous scientific research activities (maximum 5 000 words), (6) two abstracts on the scientific content of the research plan (one scientific abstract and one abstract in layman’s terms of maximum 500 words or 4 000 characters each). All documents must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact the chair of the research group, Prof. dr. Nathalie Dens (email@example.com). If you have any questions about the typical appointment framework for this research role, please contact the (TT)ZAPBOF officer in the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation, Marianne De Voecht (0032 3 265 30 29).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.