Department : Department of Biology
Regime : Full-time
The Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of aquatic environmental biology.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis. The PhD project is a joint project of the Systemic Physiological and Ecotoxicological Research group (SPHERE) and the Ecosystem Management Research group (ECOBE) about ‘Freshwater ecosystems with a burn-out: extra stress caused by heatwaves?’. The project aims to study interaction effects between different trophic levels in Global Change scenarios of eutrophication and heatwaves.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for SPHERE and/or ECOBE.
- You hold a Master degree in biology, bio-engineering or equivalent or you will have obtained it by the time you start the PhD.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- A background in aquatic physiology and/or aquatic ecology and some experience in project management are an advantage.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 November 2020 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger and Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment. You will be able to execute experiments in the state-of-the-art mesocosm research facility: www.uantwerpen.be/mesodrome
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 10 August 2020. Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Gudrun De Boeck at email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth wherever possible. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity or disability. We encourage everyone to apply, especially members of under-represented groups.