The Faculty of Applied Engineering is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the research group Applied Electrochemistry & Catalysis (ELCAT) (Department of Chemical Engineering) for a
Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of electrocatalysis, combined with in-situ transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
The TEM experiments will be performed at the Electron Microscopy for Materials Research (EMAT) laboratory of the University of Antwerp, using state-of-the-art in-situ TEM holders.
Quantitative in-situ structural, morphological and compositional characterization of bimetallic nanoparticles as a route towards innovative electrocatalysts
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of electrocatalysis combined with in-situ TEM.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the department of Chemical Engineering of the faculty of Applied Engineering.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of electrocatalysis with a focus on hetero-nanoparticles.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a bachelor and master degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or equivalent.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- Foreign candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have a background in colloidal synthesis of metallic hetero-nanoparticles and/or electrochemistry.
- Experience with the use of TEM is an advantage.
- The ideal candidate should be able to combine the synthesis with the characterization in order to obtain a better understanding of the phenomena occurring during real catalytic reactions with complex bimetallic NPs.
- You have excellent knowledge of the English language, in both oral and written communication.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship will be between September 1st and December 1st, 2019;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.373,36 to € 2.516,73;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online until the closing date June 2nd 2019 and should include a copy of your CV and a cover letter.
- A pre-selection will be made amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between June 3rd and June 30th, 2019.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Thomas Altantzis, +32 32659302, Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.