Vacancy Reference: 26742 / SC 026 / 2021 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Experimental astroparticle physics
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. Within the Science and Technology Sector, the position is attached to the Faculty of Science and to the Institute of Mathematics and Physics that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics of UCLouvain conducts, among other research lines, experimental and theoretical research in fundamental interactions and cosmology. Over 100 physicists and mathematicians from around the world work at the Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics. Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics physicists are currently involved in the CMS and NA62 experiments at the international laboratory for particle physics CERN, and the Virgo laser interferometric gravitational wave detector at the European gravitational observatory (EGO).
The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment conveniently located at the heart of Europe.
The successful candidate will teach physics at the Master level in specialized fields according to his/her specific skills, as well as basic courses in physics in the Faculty of Science or in other faculties of the University.
The successful candidate will have an excellent research background, supported by significant publications, in the field of experimental astroparticle physics. He or she will have the potential to lead a new research activity complementary to and in synergy with those carried out within the Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics.
The successful candidate will develop cutting-edge research and publish high-level research articles. He or she will also contribute to the administrative tasks of the Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics, the Faculty of Science or the University.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications: the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Science (physics) or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
Application deadline: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at noon
Starting date: 1st September, 2021
Further information :
Prof. Enrico Vitale, Dean SC – email@example.com
Prof. Giacomo Bruno, President IRMP – firstname.lastname@example.org
Localization: Science and Technology Sector
Faculty of Science (SC) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/sc)
Institute of Mathematics and Physics (IRMP) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/irmp)
|Title||An academic position in Experimental astroparticle physics (1 FTE)|
|Employer||Université catholique de Louvain|
|Job location||Place de l'Université 1, 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve|
|Published||November 17, 2020|
|Application deadline||December 1, 2020|
|Job types||Professor,   Lecturer / Senior Lecturer,   Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Cosmology,   Experimental Physics,   Astrophysics,   Mathematical Physics,   Particle Physics  |