Explore the impact of imec’s technology solutions on tomorrow’s Machine Learning and AI systems.
What you will do
System Architecture innovations are key to position imec for success in fast evolving workloads of tomorrow and to differentiate imec’s process technology innovations with system level value proposition. The Compute System Architecture Unit at imec leads research into futuristic high-performance and highly secure RISC-V CPUs to extend imec’s semiconductor research leadership into the next decade. This unit is responsible for the architecture definition of new CPU and accelerator capabilities, analyzing emerging usage models, and building hardware and software prototypes for data-driven computing hardware capable of exa-scale performance.
As we expand our research to better optimize computing systems, we are looking for a Principal SoC/CPU Architect to join a small, growing CPU group, advancing the art of high-performance circuit design. The role provides high levels of flexibility to define the next generation RISC-V Core for exa-scale system platform. Ideal candidates will channel their creativity to contribute in cross-spectrum flow and methodology, working closely with a team of micro-architects. He or she will work closely with partners to identify and customize infrastructure and workloads to inform and influence future technology definitions.
In this role you will:
- Lead the definition of a new HPC OoO RISC-V core.
- Analyze CPU performance, power, cost and understanding technology limitations required to breakthrough.
- Develop knowledge of the competitive landscape and an understanding of technologies needed for solutions such as Machine Learning, Quantum Computing.
- Collaborate with the CPU and Architecture experts at imec to develop of key technologies for RISC-V CPUs to remain competitive for exa-scale computing systems.
- Facilitate design development efforts, performance estimation, and performance analysis through methodology and hands-on contributions.
- Drive the direction of the CPU performance model with senior team members and help develop and analyze microarchitecture studies for future products.
- Create and maintain technical documents including architecture specifications, implementation guides, and user guides.
- Participate in the design of a server-class SoC including mesh interconnect, a PCIe subsystem, or a memory subsystem.
- Mentor junior and senior architects with your domain expertise. imec is built on a culture of learning.
- Reach out and ask questions without hesitation, using your strong communication skills (this is a very important to be successful in this position!)
- Understand the pipeline of ideas from research to workloads to ISA to microarchitecture to physical technology.
- Ability to learn and grow. Nobody around you will have all the answers!
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- MS or PhD degree in computer or electrical engineering with at least 8 years of architecture, design and/or verification experience.
- You have meaningful industry expertise in SoC architecture, such as Clocks, Resets, Automotive safety, Interconnects, Memory Controller, Boot, Virtualization, Power Management, Security, System Performance, IO technologies, (PCIE, Camera Interfaces, etc), Multimedia accelerator pipelines, CPU/GPU coherency, Platform integration.
- You have deep knowledge and expertise of CPU architecture / microarchitecture acquired through extensive experience with CPU/System performance analysis/modeling/design and/or, extensive experience in workload analysis/characterization/software optimization.
- You are able to work efficiently alone and can lead a virtual team across multiple groups and geographies.
- You have a passion to innovate, to think differently, to explore new avenues, and to influence stakeholders with detailed investigations.
- You have extensive experience working on advanced CPU technics, from branch prediction to prefetchers (micro-architecture, design).
- You are comfortable communicating and solving issues at all levels of architecture definition from micro-architecture to system level to software architecture.
- You have been working on CPU infrastructure architectures and related system constraints.
- You are used to working on immature technologies and follow up latest advancements in Research.
- You thrive in an open collaborative working culture that provides an opportunity to impact products and roadmaps with your ideas/prototypes/empirical analysis.
- You work in a structured, transparent, and accurate way.
- You are a constructive team player and actively share experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence, and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.
Apply online at www.imec.be/jobs.