We are currently seeking an Executive Director
Someone to lead a unique scientific tripartite organisation
ILSI Europe brings together scientists from industry, academia and the public sector to deliver science of the highest quality and integrity in the areas of food safety, nutrition, consumer behaviour and sustainability.
ILSI Europe has 53 member companies (most of them are European and worldwide leaders in their field) and an annual budget of m€.2.6.
ILSI Europe activities are coordinated by a staff of 17. ILSI Europe manages an ecosystem of 21 task forces and 50+ expert groups that gather more than 500 external collaborating scientists. It organises every year around 7 international events such as workshops and symposia.
The position is located in ILSI Europe office in Brussels.
The Executive Director is accountable for the management of the organisation, the respect of the tripartite structure of the organisation, the respect of the scientific integrity & code of ethics, budget balance and the overall performance of ILSI Europe. Implement the vision and the direction of the Board of Directors, as approved by the General Assembly of Members. He/she coordinate activities between ILSI Global and ILSI Europe and also represent ILSI Europe at Global level.
He/she is in charge of recommending overall strategy and manages relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
He/she ensures the widest dissemination of the scientific output to the most suitable audience in collaboration with the Scientific Programme Director and Marketing and Communication Manager.
Reporting & supervisory relationships
- Reports to the ILSI Europe Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Manages hierarchically overall ILSI Europe staff and directly the Scientific Programme Director, the Human Resources and Office Manager, the Accounting Manager, the Conference and Membership Manager and the Marketing and Communication Manager.
- Relation with ILSI Global.
- Closely interact with ILSI Global and the other ILSI entities
- Ensuring the implementation of the mandatory policies of ILSI
- Report to ILSI Global on ILSI Europe activities
- Participate to ILSI Global activities such as meetings, conference calls, webinars
ILSI Europe Representative
- Monitor legal issues such as the Charter of Incorporation and Standing Orders, International association without lucrative purpose (AISBL) status
- Maintain the integrity and code of ethics of ILSI Europe’s mission
- Propose an overall strategy and vision to the Board of Directors and execute them
- Ensure that the scientific issues important to ILSI Europe member companies, in accordance with its mission and strategy are identified, prioritised and appropriately addressed by the organisation
- Ensure implementation of the tripartite principles of ILSI (academia, government, industry)
- Ensure coordination and follow-up the activities of
- Board of Directors
- Scientific Advisory Committee
- Task forces
- Ensure that the ILSI Europe publications meet ILSI quality standards and are adequately peer reviewed with the support of the Scientific Programme Director
- Recommend a membership strategy (recruitment and retention) with the support of the Membership Manager and control the implementation
- Ensure that appropriate internal and external funding is available to enable programme execution
- Manage ILSI Europe
- Manage and develop the ILSI Europe staff (e.g. development of skills) with the support of the Human and Resources & Office Manager in alignment with the mission
- Oversee the day-to-day operations, quality, implementation and development of ILSI Europe
- Propose, control and respect the ILSI Europe budgets as approved by the Board and General Assembly
- Ensure appropriate technical guidance and oversight of scientific programmes (meetings, workshops, publications, collaborative projects) with the support of the Scientific Programme Director
- Recommend a communication plan/strategy with the support of the Marketing and Communication Manager and control the implementation
- Serve as the day-to-day public representative for ILSI Europe, and on request for ILSI Global
- Initiate and facilitate contacts with other scientific organisations, universities, regulatory agencies, government bodies, EC, EFSA, international agencies such as WHO and FAO
- Preferably with a PhD degree in the fields of food safety, nutrition or life sciences
- Strong general scientific overview of research, in particular in nutrition and/or food safety fields
- Proven interest in interdisciplinary approaches
- 10 years+ of experience in R&D departments / Research centres in international public or private organisations
- Managed international teams for more than 10 years
- Developed & managed relationships with key stakeholders
- Managed budgets
Skills & abilities required
- Ability to inspire high performance & bringing out the very best in others
- Strong organisational, project management and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills: management, collaboration, leadership, facilitation, negotiation
- Visionary, dynamic, with high personal integrity
- Ensure excellence in the execution of projects or activities
- Team player
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Customer service oriented
- Agreement with ILSI Europe code of ethics and values
- Oral & written communicator; presented at meetings and gave seminars
- Fluent in English
- Able to travel throughout Europe 30 to 40% of the time
- European citizenship / EU working permit
If you are passionate about excelling at your job, managing teams and developing your career in an international and highly qualified environment with multiple contact opportunities and large visibility, we would welcome your application. If you wish to apply for this position, please get in contact by 27 February 2019 at email@example.com for the attention of the Human Resources and Office Manager; Subject matter: your name, date, application ED.