The faculty consists of professionals with diverse backgrounds, such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, health psychology, movement sciences, biomedical sciences, biology, engineering, medicine, and others. Quality, professionalism, co‑creation, international collaboration and a civic mind-set are highly valued.
The faculty organizes a 3-year academic bachelor and 2-year academic master program in Rehabilitation Sciences & Physiotherapy. This program educates students through self‑guided activated learning methods within a competence‑orientated model (CanMED). The faculty participates in the inter‑university master program for Occupational Sciences and the master program for Education in Health Sciences.
REVAL is an interdisciplinary research group performing research in the domain of paediatric, neurological, and musculoskeletal rehabilitation, biomechanics, health psychology and rehabilitation of internal disorders.
PhD students are educated in rehabilitation sciences (and physiotherapy), and occupational sciences, within the doctoral school of Health & Life Sciences. REVAL strives to perform innovative, person‑centred, interdisciplinary and technology-based research for the detection, prevention, and rehabilitation of limitations in the functioning of individuals of all ages.
In a "civic university" perspective, the RELAB platform facilitates the provision of evidence-based services to the community, persons with disabilities, health care professionals and centres, as well as companies.
The faculty organizes interdisciplinary evidence-based courses for health care professionals in the REVAL ACADEMY program.
This vacancy focuses on integrative physiology with specialization in the (rehabilitation of) internal disorders.
Integrative physiology is devoted to encompassing the broader aspects of physiology that include the integration of mechanisms and regulatory functions at all biological levels, ranging from molecular, cellular, tissue and organs to clinical studies.
This vacancy seeks a strong academic profile that focuses on the function of internal organs (heart, lungs, kidney, liver or pancreas) or internal systems (endocrine system, immune system), in function of physical rehabilitation and related to patients with chronic diseases.
- You will mainly perform teaching activities in the bachelor and master program of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, with main emphasis on integrative physiology in internal systems/organs with a relation to physical rehabilitation in healthy and pathological population.
- You will work with innovative pedagogic concepts that adhere to the vision of the educational program.
- You will collaborate in educational concepts which focus on competences within the CanMED model, including clinical and scientific competences and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- You will work in a team and will lead a group of teaching assistants.
- You will perform research in the field of the integrative physiology of internal systems/organs, in relation to physical rehabilitation, according to the strategic vision of the research group REVAL.
- You connect with academic colleagues that conduct research in the rehabilitation of persons with COPD, heart failure, lung cancer, coronary artery disease, metabolic diseases, by offering deep insights of organ/system functions and thereby mechanisms behind clinical effects. You also seek collaborations with other rehabilitation domains within REVAL.
- You will develop and supervise research projects focused on this topic and contribute to projects of different partners and disciplines.
- You will perform research and public services in a regional and international network. You will apply for external research funds or grants for financing of researchers and infrastructural needs. You will lead a group of investigators.
- You will perform community services within the context of the faculty and conform your academic degree. For example, membership of the Medical Ethical Committee, alumni activities or a mandate in the educational, research or internationalisation policy.
- You are considering serving activities in the region on the bases of your specific expertise or in the field of professional or governing organisations in rehabilitation. The faculty values clinical expertise or vision within the field of rehabilitation sciences. Within your assignment you are willing to search for interaction in the working field for example by playing an active or advisory roll within a clinical context.
- You have a master degree in rehabilitation and physiotherapy, human movement sciences, medical sciences, (bio)medical sciences, biology (or equivalent)
- You have a strong academic output in the above academic domain. You made a noticeable contribution to a large amount of A1 publications, which are mostly published in Q1 (based on Web of Science) journals within its specific scientific domain. This includes first and last author positions and an adequate H-index.
- You obtained a PhD and have a minimum of 3 years of post-doctoral experience.
- You have a broad (inter)national network, which can be indicated by, for example publications, involvement in consortia and/or committees. You are attentive to international mobility and interactions.
- You have strong teaching skills which contribute to the quality of the educational program. You preferably have teaching experience in the specific domain and at a university level.
- You take initiative to participate in community service duties that contribute to the outreach of your own research and teaching.
- You have demonstrable and broad experience in (obtaining) external grant applications.
- You have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- You are a team player and you have a cooperative attitude to contribute to the tasks of the faculty and to work together in an interdisciplinary context and with external partners.
- You have demonstrable insight and experience in the relation between the physiology of internal organs or systems, physical functioning and rehabilitation. You have strong experience in education and research at a university level.
- Academic staff must meet the statutory language requirements for knowledge of the language of instruction (Dutch). If necessary, Hasselt University offers concrete, tailored support measures to help achieve the required language level.
Based on the qualifications of the candidate UHasselt offers:
- an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system or (ass) professor
- lecturing in the tenure track sytem during 5 years will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favourably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria.
- a fulltime appointment as a member of the academic staff initiates with a temporary appointment for a period up to 3 years.
You can only apply online up to and including 05 January 2021.
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file, an interview and a test lesson / presentation.
Prof. dr. Peter FEYS, +32-11-292123, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. dr. Dominique HANSEN, +32-11-292126, email@example.com
Mevrouw Ann VANDERHEYDEN, +32-11-269044, firstname.lastname@example.org
More about working at Hasselt University? Check www.uhasselt.be/vacancies for our staff benefits.