ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programs that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
Soete laboratory of Ghent University is an important scientific player in fracture mechanics and tribology and is active in both experimental and numerical research on fatigue, fracture, friction, wear, reliability and durability of machine parts and mechanical constructions.
In accordance with the university assignment, the Soete education provider in the civil engineering and industrial engineering courses at Ghent University is responsible for a large number of courses related to mechanical construction, machine construction and production techniques
In addition to education and fundamental research, special attention is also paid to industrial applications. In this way Soete Laboratory acquired an international reputation with its research on test samples with large-scale dimensions. The laboratory is active in a wide range of industrial sectors such as metal constructions, machine building, offshore structures, oil and gas, agriculture, etc. In these sectors we offer various services, including design and engineering, innovation, numerical simulations and large-scale testing.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation.
- You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, specifically the area of Mechanical Construction and Production (Ba- and Ma-level).
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a Master’s degree in Electromechanical Engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have a strong motivation for conducting scientific research and/or project-based research and services.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended. You possess good analytical, and technical skills
- You are interested in Tribology & Fracture Mechanics
- You are interested in both experimental and computational techniques.
- Experience with setting up and executing experiments and/or numerical simulations (Finite Element Method) is an asset.
- You are willing to further acquiring missing competencies by following training and education.
- You take responsibility for the development of your project in a well-structured, thorough way, and you’re able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating ideas or finding new ways of working.
- You have an open personality and willing to contribute to the team and participate in didactic projects.
- You have excellent didactic and communication skills in English, both orally and written.
- Knowledge of Dutch is definitely an asset. Non-Dutch speaking candidates, commit themselves to learn Dutch within a reasonable period.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 01/07/2019 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, Ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on our website (in Dutch).
Apply online via this application before last application date (see above). Make sure you upload the following documents:
- application letter
- cv, including an overview of study results (merged into one file of maximum 5 MB)
- a transcript of the required degree
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it)
We do not accept applications that are sent by e-mail or applications that lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Luc Dupre (luc.dupre@UGent.be, +32 09/264 34 24).