The Evangelische Theologische Faculteit in Leuven is a unique institution of higher, university education. We are located in one of the oldest university cities in Europe. ETF is one of the few evangelical and interdenominational institutions offering university level theological education in Europe, with an impact far beyond national borders. We passionately practice theology in a Bible-based, academic and culturally enriching way. Since 1983, the institution has enjoyed official academic recognition and awards Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees in theology and religious studies. The ETF is a flexible, small-scale and ambitious academic institution. Its courses of study are accredited by the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO).
ETF Leuven seeks a new
who will also strengthen the academic faculty as (prospective) part-time Professor. He/she desires to serve the mission of ETF on the basis of protestant evangelical convictions.
- You represent a dynamic academic institution in the field of theology and religious studies to the civil authorities and a spectrum of diverse Christian churches and organisations.
- You maintain and proactively expand relationships with other (academic) theological institutions, domestic and foreign, for the purpose of strategic cooperation.
- You are enterprising in establishing and maintaining relationships with strategic partners with a view to fundraising.
- You work together with and chair the executive team consisting of Rector, Dean and Administrative Director. You are accountable to the Board of Trustees, which oversees and monitors the functioning of ETF.
- You mobilize the diverse qualities of staff to promote a strong, shared vision and guide its implementation through strategic policy.
- You are a motivating and inspiring leader for the unique research and learning community of ETF, consisting of staff and students.
- You are a personal example for the whole team in establishing and strengthening interpersonal relationships and commitment to the organisation.
- You contribute in your field of study to academic education, research and services. Expertise in the field of Practical Theology is an advantage with a view to strengthening this department.
- You have a constant academic production and are acknowledged as an expert in your discipline.
- You maintain and continually develop an extensive academic network.
- You have a leading role in academic education, research (incl. supervising PhD dissertations) and services and within the executive bodies of ETF.
- You actively generate funds for research.
- PhD in theology and/or religious studies with at least ten years of experience in an academic context, evidenced by a strong track record in academic research, education, and services;
- Able to operate within the context of university legislation in Flanders, the Netherlands and the remainder of Europe;
- Able to build bridges to and enhance cooperation with diverse Christian supporters and stakeholders;
- Able to connect to a variety of academic partners, researchers and research centers;
- Involved with the international protestant evangelical movement;
- A vision for practicing academic protestant evangelical theology in the future and its relevance for church and society;
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills;
- Proven experience in relevant fundraising;
- Excellent oral and written mastery of Dutch (at least lingua receptiva upon inauguration) and English. Knowledge of German and French is a plus;
- Excellent team player and able to motivate colleagues to positive performance;
- Active member of a local church community based on your personal faith.
We offer fulltime employment at the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit in Leuven. You will function as Rector with an appointment as Professor (independent academic personnel). The term for Rector is valid for five years and may be renewed. The date of entry can be decided by mutual agreement. The salary will be fixed based on experience and seniority according to internal salary scales.
For more information about this position, you may confidentially contact Prof. Dr. Henk Jochemsen, vice-chairman of the Board, by phone (+32 16 308351 Executive Secretary Julie Gelling) or via email. For general information, please consult our website.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV to the chairman of the Board, Mr. Filip De Cavel, via firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses will be treated confidentially. An assessment may be part of the procedure.