Experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research - AGC’s Technovation Centre is recruiting a researcher in charge of glass mechanical properties and glass laser cutting developments
Join a leading international glass company, share a global stage of incredible opportunity. Work and grow alongside some of the brightest people in your field.
Glass creates emotion by connecting people with their environment. Could it connect us with you?
AGC Glass Europe
- European branch of the AGC Group (Asahi Glass Co., Ltd), the world's leading producer of flat glass.
- Produces, processes and distributes flat glass for building (exterior glazing and interior decoration), automotive (original glass and replacement glass) and smart screen applications.
- 14.000 people in Europe - 18 float glass lines, 10 automotive glass processing centers and more than 100 distribution-processing units in Europe, stretching from Spain to Russia.
You at AGC’s Technovation Centre – GMR (Glass Melting & Refractories) Department – your mission
- You will be based at the Technovation Centre close to Brussels (Belgium) where research & development, engineering and IP activities are centralized under one roof (280 members of personnel )
- You will join a dynamic team of researchers inside the GMR department active in areas from raw materials to glass melting, numerical simulations, energy audits, endoscopic inspection of production furnaces, industrial data mining and analysis amongst others
- Specific training and support will be put in place during the first months with our researchers and technicians. You are responsible for two main areas
- You develop glass mechanical properties know-how
- Gather and develop experience in the glass mechanical resistance field, its characterization and production techniques.
- Develop knowledge about chemical tempering
- Conceive, prepare, execute, follow, analyze, synthetize plans of experiments
- Become one of the reference person inside ATC for mechanical properties questions
- Support the development of cutting methods
- You are in charge of glass laser cutting developments
- Help the plant on technical development
- Ensure follow-up from float line to ATC, through all steps of production
- Identify and quantify defects of laser cutting, develop new methods and follow-up
- Draw and share conclusions on laser cutting process
- Make recommendations on process parameters to optimize cutting
- A love of science is in your blood with very good academic results in one of the following fields - engineering (material science, mechanics) or PhD in chemistry, physics or applied Science - and with relevant training in:
- Mechanical properties (brittle material fracture and statistical analysis of survival ) and/or
- Laser technology (principles, sources, components) and theory (non-linear interaction of light in transparent media).
- You understand that a researcher’s job is more than sitting behind a screen or running experiments in the labs. You have a strong affinity with industrial and operational processes and enjoy being on the field.
- You are willing to work in a team, in interaction with other researchers, technicians (bachelors and industrial engineers), non technical colleagues, operators and management.
- You also display the following competences
- Advanced analytical skills
- Problem-solving, results oriented
- Multi-project management (priorities, stages, deadlines)
- Ability to solve challenging problems by using innovative non conventional approaches
- Excellent communication skills
Knowledge in database build-up and management, AutoCad is an asset.
Why You Should Apply
- You’ll be part of a committed, smart, fun team respectful for diversity
- You’ll get wide-ranging exposure to different aspects of glass and technology.
- We offer competitive compensation with 40 days holiday, a casual office environment, training opportunities and respect for autonomy